Monday, August 07, 2006

Separation, Divorce, and Selfishness

It seems that many of my friends in the last few years have gotten married, as well as myself. I've heard over the last couple years all of the horrifying statistics around divorce, but until recently hadn't connected with them. So much for that! My heart is almost as broken as the American family. Friends left and right, near and far are falling apart. For various reasons, all stemming directly back to selfishness, people I love are hurting and turning to themselves for comfort. Separation, divorce and selfishness walk hand in hand dividing even the "strongest" unities. Today I read on the Barna website that studies show that born again believers are just as likely to divorce as non-believers. Should that be appalling? I know that many went into marriage unwisely, with false expectations or selfish ambition, but why is there so much failure. I am done assuming it's a generational thing. Divorce has been a common issue forever. If we are truly "born again," we must go back to the source of our rebirth and seek strength and guidance. It is not ok. I know why I married Teresa, and when times are difficult I have to run back to the reason. I without a doubt had peace from my Lord about loving Teresa Hardee more than myself and being her husband. That peace has and will give me strength through the years to desire to grow together and not apart. If you are not yet married know that it is not good for a man to be married unless he has heard from the voice of the Great Shepard. If you are married, you made a covenant, love selflessly, and watch God bless your marriage. To my friends that are struggling, I love you deeply, and it hurts me that you're struggling. I will mourn with you, but not give up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home