Thursday, August 24, 2006

Helpless?

I've recently moved into one of the coolest neighborhoods in the world. But as I'm getting settled I'm realizing there is a lot of pain in my new hood. Downtown Fort Lauderdale has been going through some heavy change over the last 12 years. If the word gentrification doesn't mean anything to you, your probably not being affected by it, or you've been affected by it and know all to well what it does,but your overworked, underpaid teacher never quite got to that lesson. There is a distinct division between the middle to upper class white people, and the black people in my "community." Right now I'm simply stating the obvious issue, and admitting that I have no clue as to where to begin to seek reconciliation and health, other than through Christ one relationship at a time. I'm not helpless, but at times I feel it. One thing I do know is that I won't receive any advice or thoughts from any of the people that understand gentrification, but can't spell it, via my blog. I'd be delightfully shocked if any of my hurting neighbors even knew about blogging. This private/public world of blogs is an interesting one isn't it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home