Thursday, September 14, 2006

I Hate Flossing.

The title isn't all that accurate, but it caught your eye. As I skipped flossing and went straight to brushing tonight I realized that there are three things in my life that I know are beneficial, but simply don't do, flossing, reading, and lifting weights. Don't hear me incorrectly, I do them all occasionally, but certainly not as much as I should. The funniest aspect of these three areas of my life, that are so often neglected, is that I really enjoy the outcome of all three. I love to smile, and not think twice about it, I enjoy learning, and I love to be active and physical. So why don'’t I work through the bit of nuisance to get to that unexplainable feeling of completion and temporary satisfaction? It's either because I don'’t truly believe that the process is worth the benefit, I have no real discipline, or I'’m content and hoping that seeming success will continue with little to no effort. I'’m afraid that these three areas are small reflections of my "“walk."” Not that flossing, reading, and/or lifting weights are directly related to my spiritual life. But they are. Aren'’t they? I really hope that it'’s not that I have no real discipline. That would be sad. But then again do I want to shift the blame to the other two explanations? At this point I'm really not sure, and justifying my disobedience only perpetuates the very issue.

All this to simply confess that I thought about flossing, I knew I should, I even knew that I would be glad that I did after I did, but didn't tonight. So, good night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home